2/13/13

Randy Couture: The UFC giving Matt Hughes a front office position was 'a big f**k you’ to me from Dana White

139075276

In the latest chapter of the Dana White and Randy Couture feud, "The Natural" claims he gave his former employers at the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and ZUFFA front offices plenty of opportunities to give him a significant role within the company before joining Bellator and Spike TV because for him, serving as a commentator for FOX events four times a year just wasn't cutting it.


When White and Co. couldn't come up with anything, that's when the former heavyweight and light heavyweight champion decided it was time to move on to the promotion's biggest rival.


That move prompted Dana to call out Couture's integrity and manhood and subsequently ban him from attending any UFC events and even went as far as saying he would prevent him from cornering his son, Ryan Couture, during any of his bouts as long as he is under contract with the Las Vegas-based mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion.


But, what really bothered "The Natural" was that after he bolted to Bellator, the higher ups at Zuffa decided to give recently retired and former welterweight champion Matt Hughes a nice job with the promotion as Vice President of Athletic Development and Government relations.


In Couture's eyes, that move was nothing but "a big f**k you" from Dana to him as he recently declared on his appearance on Sirius XM Fight Club:



"I gave the UFC and Dana every opportunity to find a way to significantly use me since I retired a year and a half ago. They acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me the four events on FOX a year as a commentator. In my opinion and estimation, (that's) not a terribly significant role in the organization, and the company of ZUFFA. So I tried like hell to get them to keep me with the company in some significant way and they had nothing for me. I made them aware that this offer had come onto the table, that the TV thing was heating up for me, that there were significant offers being pushed to me, but I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement to even hear those pitches and could not tell them specifically what was going on or who was offering what. So, you know, in my professional estimation, they had an opportunity to keep me and use me. They chose not to, and a week later, after this whole thing leaks, they give a job to Matt Hughes in a significant fashion. Frankly that was a big ‘f--k you' to me from Dana. And that's exactly what he intended to do."



However, according to Hughes himself, the position that was given to him by the UFC was a deal that had started since October of 2011.


Nevertheless, it seems any hopes of a reconciliation between Couture and the UFC are over now that "The Natural" has found new gigs serving as a coach in the upcoming Bellator reality TV show "Fight Master," and will also attempt to save struggling gyms on Spike TV's "MMA Rescue."


With White declaring he 'will never be good with Randy as long as he walks this fucking planet,' it's safe to say that all ties have officially been severed once and for all.


No comments:

Post a Comment